Tablets What are tablets for?

    • What are tablets for?
  • Anonymous

    I own about five and I use none of them. Maybe Netflix every now and again. Sometimes when I’m cooking. Other than that, they just sit there and remind me how expensive my hobby is. Tablet lovers, show me the light!

  • I’m definitely in the same boat. I have an android tablet that hasn’t got much use since Google Play Magazines became newsstand. I also have a first generation Surface Pro which is a hefty beast, and although it has full Windows 8, it hasn’t got a ton of use except as a media center PC

    Maybe you can sell a couple of them to people who need to use them as cameras

    /sarcasm

  • thas ★
    Member

    I bought my Note 10.1(2012) thinking I could use it for school. I did for quite a while, but I soon came to the realization that the only thing that really attracted me to tablets was the battery life. As soon as laptops like the MacBook Air started to have relatively reliable battery life, the choice was clear. Right now all I ever use my tablet for is some comic book reading. It’s not worth it for me, so I’ll likely never buy one again.

    TLDR: I share you sentiments.

  • grantdude
    Member

    I have a Nexus 7. My kids play games and watch YouTube on it all the time. Me, though, I just use it for Googling something when I’m sitting around the living room. Yeah I can use my phone for that too, but if there’s a bigger screen nearby, then the bigger screen device is always my preference.
    To me it’s a better device in the living room (than the phone). However, I must say, if it weren’t for me buying it for my kid’s birthday, I could probably live without one.

  • maritimer
    Member

    I have an iPad air 2, a Nexus 7 2013 , and a Nexus 7 2012. I use them daily to browse the news on flipboard etc. Also as ebook readers.

    My phone ( Nexus 5 ) is a bit too small for these purposes. I have been thinking of a nexus 6 or LG G4 as a replacement for phone and tablets but am not sure I could do without the larger screen while at home.

    The iPad mini is the perfect size tablet for me but the screen quality is not good enough for ebooks. The iPad air has a better screen although I would like a higher resolution. The Nexus 7 2013 has a great screen but I find myself using the iPad air 2 most of the time, not sure why.

  • ShinraCorp
    Member

    I had a Sony Xperia tablet (their first one) and an iPad Mini, both of them I sold them off a month later since I found no use for them.

    I think of tablets as people who are to cheap to get a laptop and think that carrying a laptop is either too inconvenient or too heavy.

    • maritimer
      Member

      Just because others make different choices that you that does not make them cheap. For the $1000 that I paid for my iPad air 2 I could have had a laptop if that is what I wanted.

    • ShinraCorp
      Member

      @maritimer said:
      Just because others make different choices that you that does not make them cheap. For the $1000 that I paid for my iPad air 2 I could have had a laptop if that is what I wanted.

      Ok simple question. Why did you pay 1k for an iPad Air?

  • nekkidtruthnekkidtruth
    Member

    I’ve bought and then sold multiple tablets over the last few years. I use them for a very short period of time, then come to realize I don’t use them enough to justify having one. I could easily do without. Yet I continue to replace the ones I’ve sold a few months later….Interesting…

  • nekkidtruthnekkidtruth
    Member

    @Nicholas Laberge said:
    Ok simple question. Why did you pay 1k for an iPad Air?

    Well it certainly wasn’t because he was cheap 😛

  • ShinraCorp
    Member

    @nekkidtruth said:
    Well it certainly wasn’t because he was cheap 😛

    I can see that but if it was because it’s more convenient than carrying a laptop then he falls under my point. That people buy tablets either because A) GENERALLY less expensive B) Lighter than a laptop C) More Convenient to carry around with since you don’t really need much, probably a small bag and that’s it.

    I mean I can see Windows Tablets with detachable keyboards like the Surface and Surface Pro line making sense but in general, I consider them general media consumption devices that do not get out of the building because smartphones do the exact same thing as a tablet…. heck why do you think phablets are a thing now? To have both a tablet and a smartphone with you.

    • nekkidtruthnekkidtruth
      Member

      The issue isn’t whether anyone falls under your listed categories. The issue is you’re speaking as if they’re mutually exclusive. That you basically have to be all of the above to purchase a tablet. There was no or in your statement.

      You can buy a tablet regardless if you’re cheap or not. Same with convenience or weight. There are also tablets that are more expensive than most laptops as well. You are implying that regardless of any of the other reasons, being “too cheap” is a requirement for wanting to buy a tablet.

    • ShinraCorp
      Member

      @nekkidtruth said:
      The issue isn’t whether anyone falls under your listed categories. The issue is you’re speaking as if they’re mutually exclusive. That you basically have to be all of the above to purchase a tablet. There was no or in your statement.

      You can buy a tablet regardless if you’re cheap or not. Same with convenience or weight. There are also tablets that are more expensive than most laptops as well. You are implying that regardless of any of the other reasons, being “too cheap” is a requirement for wanting to buy a tablet.

      I still don’t see your argument, all you say is that I am wrong and you have nothing to back that up. I’m not saying everyone are cheap. I’m saying most are. After selling a few tablets myself at a national retail store most people expected tablets to be cheaper and because of that avoided buying a tablet until it was on sale. Heck when the iPad went on “sale” it wasn’t really on sale but people bought it like hot cakes only because we gave away a gift card, we dropped the price by like 10$ and that was it.

  • nekkidtruthnekkidtruth
    Member

    @Nicholas Laberge said:
    I still don’t see your argument, all you say is that I am wrong and you have nothing to back that up. I’m not saying everyone are cheap.

    @Nicholas Laberge said:
    I think of tablets as people who are to cheap to get a laptop and think that carrying a laptop is either too inconvenient or too heavy.

    Really? The above bold is mine. There is no argument. You imply that someone who wants a tablet is cheap by your definition. You are incorrect. This isn’t math, there’s no need to show my work. I’m using simple English to prove my point. You did not say “most people” or “some people“.

  • ShinraCorp
    Member

    Fair enough, I did miswrote that. However my point still stands that generally people who purchase tablets are those who are looking for a computing device on a small budget.

  • Chris
    Member

    My Main use for it is reading. but thats a lot to pay if thats my primary use (Nexus 9) I may venture into the world of chromebooks next time.

  • BradFortin
    Spectator

    I have two of every Apple tablet ever made, one of each gets used daily, almost hourly. As well, I keep a full unopened boxed version for my collection.

    Long live Apple!

    • Anonymous

      @bradfortin said:
      I have two of every Apple tablet ever made, one of each gets used daily, almost hourly. As well, I keep a full unopened boxed version for my collection.

      Long live Apple!

      Way to contribute, Brad.

    • BradFortin
      Spectator

      Right back at you, Jane.

      You must be an Apple hater! boooooo

  • mc
    Member

    I’ve had a Motorola xoom (which I later gave to a relative), and I currently have a Asus Transformer Pad Infinity.

    My smartphone is a phone first, and I like to conserve it’s power for when I’m out and about.

    The tablet is kind of a substitute for a laptop. It’s for editing documents, playing games, and general surfing, but more portable than a laptop. I’d like to reach the point where I can forgo the “regular” computer, and just use a tablet, but we’re not there yet in terms of power and productivity tools.

  • Stuntman
    Member

    I find that a tablet is a nice to have, but not absolutely necessary. The two tablets that I own are given to me. One was the Asus Transformer and the other is an iPad Mini. They are handy if I need to look up something, but don’t want to fire up my laptop, but want a bigger screen than my phone. It’s also handy as a second screen. I may want to look up a web site on my tablet, and so something on my laptop at the same time without having to sacrifice any screen real estate on my laptop. Tablets are also way more portable than a laptop. When I go out of town, I would rather just carry a tablet rather than my laptop.

    If I didn’t have my tablet, I would just use my phone instead for most of the functions I currently use my tablet for. A tablet is not a necessity, but a nice luxury item. I am making good use of it now that I do have one.

  • Simon M.
    Member

    I have a Nexus 7 2013 and an iPad Air and I’m always using the iPad. I never really used that much the Nexus 7. My use of a tablet really increased when I got the iPad. I prefer Android on phones and Apple for tablet. It’s just a better user experience on that screen size.

    I use tablets mainly to surf the web, forums, Facebook, read and check my emails, etc, which is 90% of things I do at home. I use my laptop when I need productivity.

  • Anonymous

    @bawlti said:
    I have a Nexus 7 2013 and an iPad Air and I’m always using the iPad. I never really used that much the Nexus 7. My use of a tablet really increased when I got the iPad. I prefer Android on phones and Apple for tablet. It’s just a better user experience on that screen size.

    I use tablets mainly to surf the web, forums, Facebook, read and check my emails, etc, which is 90% of things I do at home. I use my laptop when I need productivity.

    So what does the battle between phone and tablet look like for that stuff? I find I end up doing most of my “at home” browsing on my phone anyway.

  • maritimer
    Member

    @JaneMcEntegart said:
    So what does the battle between phone and tablet look like for that stuff? I find I end up doing most of my “at home” browsing on my phone anyway.

    I have been thinking a new phone may replace my Nexus 5, iPad air 2, and Nexus 7. I have been going back and forth between an iPhone 6+ and a Nexus 6. LG G4 is also a possibility. I am just not sure that any of those could replace the tablet completely. Maybe it could replace the Nexus 7. I think I would still want a tablet for those occasions when a larger screen was more appropriate.

  • @maritimer said:
    I have been thinking a new phone may replace my Nexus 5, iPad air 2, and Nexus 7. I have been going back and forth between an iPhone 6+ and a Nexus 6. LG G4 is also a possibility. I am just not sure that any of those could replace the tablet completely. Maybe it could replace the Nexus 7. I think I would still want a tablet for those occasions when a larger screen was more appropriate.

    I’ve been thinking the same way to be honest, but as a guy with limited pocket space, I’m terrified to try cart around the Nexus 6 or iPhone 6 plus on a daily basis.

  • Stuntman
    Member

    @bawlti said:
    I prefer Android on phones and Apple for tablet. It’s just a better user experience on that screen size.

    I feel the same way. I enjoyed my tablet experience much more on the iPad Mini than on the Transformer. Granted, the Transformer is a first generation Android tablet and the software is quite buggy. The web browsing experience is better on iOS than on Android. I tend to surf the internet way more on my tablet than on my phone. Some of the things I can do on iOS browsers is just more convenient than on Android. For instance, when playing a video, it is much easier to maximise the video with a pinch to zoom gesture on iOS than it is to tap the tiny maximise button on the video player. Mouse over actions are also easier on iOS. You tap an object that allows a mouse over action to trigger the mouse over action. On Android, you have to tap, hold for a little bit and then side your finger up or down. It’s hard to do reliably.

    On my phone, I tend to use apps more often and prefer Android. One of the nice features of Android is the back button. It’s easy to go back to the previous screen. The back button is easy to press even when using my phone one handed. iOS does have a back gesture where you swipe in from the left. I find that it is difficult to do reliably. You have to almost do a perfectly horizontal swipe in gesture. I cannot do it reliably enough. I also use more widgets on my phone. I like having information at hand and can pull out my phone, quickly check and then put it away. Speed is more of an issue on my phone. I’m more impatient when using my phone than a tablet. I also find that the typing experience on an Android phone is just way better than on an iPhone. iOS third party keyboards are shadows of their Android counterparts. I find use so many Android keyboard features that are not available on the iOS version.

  • Simon M.
    Member

    @JaneMcEntegart said:
    So what does the battle between phone and tablet look like for that stuff? I find I end up doing most of my “at home” browsing on my phone anyway.

    I tried to use a phablet. It’s nice to use, but after a couple of days, it’s just too big to carry around and too small to spend time reading on it, so I stick to using 2 devices. My apps and accounts are synced on both, but each has its utility. Phones can pretty much do everything, but I don’t feel comfortable using it for more than 5 minutes when I have my tablet nearby.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.